As a Senior Data Center Engineer you will design our two data centers in Berlin together with your colleagues. This is to say in such a way that they are failsafe and maintainable and that they can be used effectively. To do this, you determine the long-term hardware needs and work closely with the operational teams on the other side of the virtualization layer, for whom you are a highly valued service provider. With your experience and expertise you contribute to the fact that our virtualization platform is highly available – and thus also the setups of our customers!
That's what makes you special:
- Setup and configuration of our servers and of our storage systems in our data centers
- Maintenance and further development of system automation
- Replacement of damaged and outdated equipment, organization of repairs
- System monitoring, trending and documentation
- Continuous error analysis, including documentation and evaluation of possible solutions and their implementation
- Capacity management in terms of space and hardware
- Further development of our data center standards
- At least 5 years experience in building and operating large data centers (order of magnitude: 100 physical servers or more)
- Routine in dealing with Linux server environments
- Be an authority in automation (e.g. with Ansible or Puppet), especially in installation processes (Kickstart, PXE-boot)
- Fluency in English and German
- You are constantly looking for process optimizations and have a talent for implementing them
- With the big picture in mind, you plan ahead and rely on sustainable solutions that will still be efficient in ten years’ time with a growing infrastructure
- In cooperation with your internal customers and colleagues, you act in a cooperative and service-oriented manner
We build and operate the stable foundation for our customers’ setups. In our server landscape we operate over 300 physical servers, equipped with 15,000 CPU cores, more than 32TB RAM! and over 5PB storage! We operate the large machines and are aware of this responsibility: Stability is our top priority. We come into contact with the following technologies: Virtuozzo, KVM, Kubernetes, OpenStack and Puppet.
One of our challenges is to simplify the configuration of servers so much that our platform can easily keep pace with the growth of our customer landscape. We still encounter creative, unique, sometimes strange solutions from earlier times: We have made it our mission to face them fearlessly and to “automate them away” – once and for all. This requires a lot of diligence, patience and determination.
Our unshakable team spirit motivates and drives us – as well as the possibility to continuously develop ourselves as a team as well as individually. In addition to the classic path to management, there are various options, such as:
- Deepening your own focus
- Change to another focus, e.g. backup & storage, virtualization, development
- Acceptance of a role as tech lead
Becoming product owner for a specific product
You want more information about this job?
Then feel free to contact me! I’ll connect you with the team for an initial exchange.
Phone: +49 (0)30/233 2012 90